Diabetes is one of the most common diseases that lead to a number of complications such as renal failure and glaucoma. Before, many people had this medical condition because it was passed down to them by their relatives, especially their parents; but today, research suggests that the primary cause of Diabetes is lifestyle. As such, it means that it could be easily prevented by changing routines. Below are some ways to avoid getting Diabetes.
- Reduce stress. Stress is proven to be a factor triggering sugar elevation, which in turn, makes us prone to having Diabetes. There are various ways to address stress such as taking advantage of technology—from engaging in MMORPGs to spending a day with our friends and family.
- Be more active. Physical activities like biking, walking, running, and other exercises help us lose weight; and since there is a correlation between weight gain and higher risk of having Diabetes, it may be safe to assume that more active lifestyle leading to healthy weight loss translates to not developing Diabetes.
- Exercise regularly. Doing physical exercises every so often is never enough. We should, at least, spend 20 to 30 minutes a day or 150 minutes a week sweating. Studies show that people who exercise on a regular basis have lower risk of having Diabetes.
- Monitor caloric intake. Good diet is key to a healthy life. To avoid Diabetes, we should eat balanced meals. Also, it would be helpful to monitor our daily caloric intake to make sure that we eat only what we need; and that we can burn excess calories. There are trusted smartphone applications that which we can use to count the calories we consume everyday against the recommended amount.
- Eat frequently. Eating frequently helps not only in the digestive process but also in weight loss because we can avoid overeating since we do not starve ourselves and we eat smaller portions.
At the end of the day, Diabetes control is all about having and maintaining healthier lifestyle. Although it may be a bit hard to change our usual practices, we must always remember that staying physically fit has a number of advantages—from looking more attractive to lowering the risks of getting health troubles like Diabetes and other non-communicable diseases.